Looking to build your future in the screen industries? Met Film School Berlin is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting edge, practical learning experience.
BA PRACTICAL FILMMAKING (2 YEARS)
- Two-year full-time undergraduate course for students looking for intensive practical training in creative screen content
- Gain experience across all filmmaking and screen content disciplines, such as screenwriting, producing, directing, camera and lighting, and editing
- Develop a comprehensive portfolio that includes short form, factual, episodic and long form productions for film, television and the web
- 82% of our BA graduates secure a job in the creative industries
The BA Practical Filmmaking course prepares the next generation of smart screen creatives. It builds creative and technical skills essential to succeed in today’s film, television and new media industries. Our professional tutors and high-caliber guest speakers teach the fundamentals of storytelling, production and screen business skills.
- Career skills. Secure employment in the creative screen industries with first-hand practical guidance from working industry professionals
- Practical experience. Build an attractive portfolio and put your knowledge into practice during the course, by working with external companies and creating projects for industry clients.
- High-caliber guest speakers and tutors. Learn from a wide range of international industry professionals with extensive experience and celebrated successes in their field of expertise.
- Intensive and fast. Complete your course in just two years and start working in the industry faster.
There are six blocks that focus on the six main screen productions you will complete on the course: Fiction, Short Form, Factual, Episodic, Long Form and the final Graduation Project. During each block you will explore core subject areas through practical exercises that will build a comprehensive, practical and in-depth understanding of the key skills needed to produce dynamic screen content.
- Ideas and story. Learn how to develop creative story ideas across a range of formats, including short form, documentaries, factual television, web series and fiction film. You will gain the tools to identify your target audience and adapt your ideas to the appropriate screen platform.
- Character and performance. Explore the various techniques for shaping character and performance across a variety of platforms, including fiction, documentary and episodic television. Working with professional actors you will learn how to transpose an idea from the page to the screen through key visual storytelling approaches.
- Image and sound. Learn how to use camera, lighting, and sound techniques to create visually and sonically compelling stories for fiction, documentary and episodic productions. You will develop strong technical skills and explore the impact of image and sound on creative screen content.
- Postproduction. Discover creative and technical skills across the full range of postproduction workflows, including offline editing, sound design, VFX, and colour grading. You will learn how postproduction skills are central to the storytelling process across film, television and new media.
- Screen Business. Find out how to market and distribute screen content across a range of media platforms, including film, television and new media. Alongside the practical skills you will gain on this course, you will also learn how creative industries work and how you can become a smart screen creative that will be attractive to industry employers. In addition, you will explore how to manage productions, create successful project pitches and work collaboratively within creative teams.
Dates & Prices
- 24 SEP 2018 — 15 OCT 2020
To apply for the BA (Hons) Practical Filmmaking course at the Met Film School Berlin:
- You must be 18 years of age, or older, at the start of the course
- If you’re under the age of 21, you must provide evidence of at least 64 UCAS Tariff points and possess two ‘A’ levels or an equivalent qualification, such as a National Diploma or Baccalaureate
- If you’re over 21, you’re considered a mature student, so your application relies on relevant skills and experience rather than academic qualifications
- If you hold an international qualification, please make sure that it’s recognised in the United Kingdom
We accept applications and offer places on a rolling basis throughout the year. As our BA programme is competitive we encourage you to apply as far ahead of your intended start date as possible.
International students must not apply later than 3 months prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for the international student visa application. It is highly advisable to apply earlier than that to avoid disappointment.
Contact our Admissions Team on +49 30 767 33 31 70 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that there are certain costs you will need to budget for in addition to the course fees. You can find out more about these costs here:
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at Met Film School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. Our team helps our talented and bright graduates to secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work in the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and as other screen professionals. These are just some of the companies they’ve gone on to work for:
We proudly present some of the course graduates’ works. These projects will give you an idea of what you should be able to produce by the end of the programme.
- Leading the industry. We’re the first film, television and online media school in Berlin based in a working film studio and engaging in an exciting partnership with the world’s biggest creator community online – YouTube.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet.
- Award-winning tutors. All our tutors are international screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations
- Connected. We connect students to opportunities within the screen industries, capitalising not only on our excellent international reputation and exciting partnerships but also on our location in Berlin – home of the Berlinale Film Festival, a buzzing art and start-up scene and several hundred film productions per year
- Successful. 82% of our BA graduates find work within the creative industries. Our students have gone onto jobs as diverse as 4D Designers, VFX Artists, Directors, Assistant Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, Campaign Managers and many more besides.