Our BA course is officially recognised by the German authorities and qualifies for the German Study Visa.
Our classes are delivered in English, in accordance with the School’s accreditation with the University of West London.
PAST OPEN EVENTS – VIRTUAL OPEN EVENT FOR BA AND MA COURSES – JULY 2020
BA SCREEN ACTING (2 YEARS)
- Two-year full-time undergraduate course for students looking for immersive practical training in screen acting
- Gain experience in essential screen acting disciplines that reflect the real business of screen acting through six key areas; story and script, character and performance, acting methods and techniques, behind the camera skills, screen business and employability
- Develop work that includes short form, episodic and long-form productions for film, television and the web
- Collaborate with our BA (Hons) Practical Filmmaking students
BA (Hons) Screen Acting is a unique, practical, industry-focused degree course which will allow you to develop the skills necessary to become a professional screen actor. This course has been designed with industry professionals to reflect the real business of screen acting.
Through a combination of lectures, seminars, reflective practice and self-directed learning, everything you learn will be put into practice through a wide range of practical, industry-focused exercises and productions. You will also collaborate with our filmmaking students who will create material which you will have the opportunity to be involved in. You will leave the course with a showreel, headshots and CV.
- Career skills. Secure employment in the creative screen industries with first-hand practical guidance from industry professional tutors.
- High-calibre guest speakers and tutors. Learn from the best ‘Industry guest speakers and masterclasses’.
- Immersive and fast. Complete your course in just two years and start working in the industry sooner
The course is divided into six learning themes which focus on a variety of screen acting forms and include collaborative productions with our filmmaking students as well as your own production opportunities. The themes are all woven into the modular structure of the course. These productions include Short Form, Episodic, Genre, Long Form and your Graduation project.
- Story and Script. In these modules, you will explore the fundamentals of good storytelling, create characters, understand how to write and analyse scripts and work with subtext.
- Character and Performance. These modules focus on the element of performance through the role of the character as well as the role of the director. You will develop your voice and movement skills, work with filmmaking students to learn directing skills and understand how to get a performance from an actor as a director. By analysing backstory and the psychology of characters, you will gain an understanding of how to create a three-dimensional performance.
- Acting Methods and Techniques. Throughout these modules, you will analyse notable theories and techniques of screen acting with particular focus on Stanislavski and Meisner. Your understanding of theory will be integrated into practice as you advance through the course from fundamental techniques to advanced skills like improvisation and ensemble work.
- Behind the Camera. Over the course of these modules, you will learn the processes and techniques of filmmaking, develop craft skills in areas such as directing and editing as well as be trained in basic camera, lighting and sound. You will enhance your understanding of the technical skills required in screen acting such as physicality within the frame, understanding shot sizes, speed and pace of turnaround depending on the form and working with the camera team. Editing will provide you with the skills to develop ‘self-tapes’, an essential part of your toolkit.
- Screen Business. These production modules will give you the opportunity to practice your presentation and audition techniques by putting yourself forward for acting roles in the collaborative productions from short form and episodic web series to feature film. Working with filmmaking students, you will enhance your understanding of production and professional practice. If preferred, you will have opportunities to work in production teams, create your own material including a genre piece, and create your own genre short film.
- Employability; You will develop your career ambitions through the course in pitching, presentations, auditions and castings and in later modules you will learn more advanced skills such as voice over techniques and combat skills as well as understanding how digital technology can inform your practice as a screen practitioner through motion capture for example.
Dates & Prices
- 04 October 2021 — 19 October 2023**
To apply for the BA (Hons) Screen Acting course at MetFilm School Berlin:
- You must be 18 years of age, or older, at the start of the course
- If you’re under the age of 21, you must provide evidence of at least 100 UCAS Tariff points and possess two ‘A’ levels or an equivalent qualification, such as a National Diploma or Baccalaureate
- If you’re over 21, you’re considered a mature student, so your application relies on relevant skills and experience rather than academic qualifications
- If you hold an international qualification, please make sure that it’s recognised in the United Kingdom
Application guidelines: We accept applications and offer places on a rolling basis throughout the year. As our BA programme is competitive we encourage you to apply as far ahead of your intended start date as possible.
International students must not apply later than 3 months prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for the international student visa application. It is highly advisable to apply earlier than that to avoid disappointment.
Please note all our courses are taught in English.
Please be aware that there are certain costs you will need to budget for in addition to the course fees. You can find out more about these costs here.
-Voices That Matter Scholarship 2021. Find out more.
*Subject to annual price review
**Subject to public health guidance or other factors outside of MetFilm School’s control. Should the dates change, we will communicate any changes to you as soon as possible through our usual communication channels.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at Met Film School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. Our team helps our talented and bright graduates to secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work in the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and as other screen professionals. These are just some of the companies they’ve gone on to work for:
We proudly present some of the course graduates’ works. These projects will give you an idea of what you should be able to produce by the end of the programme. To see more of our students’ works, check out our Alumni Films page.
- Leading the industry. We’re the first film, television and online media school in Berlin based in a working film studio.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet.
- Award-winning tutors. All our tutors are international screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations
- Connected. We connect students to opportunities within the screen industries, capitalising not only on our excellent international reputation and exciting partnerships but also on our location in Berlin – home of the Berlinale Film Festival, a buzzing art and start-up scene and several hundred film productions per year
- Successful. 82% of our BA graduates find work within the creative industries. Our students have gone onto jobs as diverse as 4D Designers, VFX Artists, Directors, Assistant Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, Campaign Managers and many more besides.