CERTIFICATE IN PRACTICAL FILMMAKING
- Eight-month intensive practical filmmaking course
- Ideal for students looking to jump-start their careers in the screen industries
- Produce your first short form content that demonstrates your storytelling skills
- Our students have worked on productions including Avengers: Age of Ultron, Skyfall, X-Men: First Class, Robin Hood, Hercules and others
- CertHE provides the option to continue onto the DipHe or BA (Hons) courses
- CertHE is only available for students from the EU and EEA
This practical and intensive course is for students interested in exploring a career in film, television or online media before committing to a longer course. In just eight months you will build a strong understanding of the screen industries.
- Practical. Learn by doing and develop creative and technical skills through practical exercises and creative workshops
- Intensive. Understand the fundamentals of storytelling, character and performance, image and sound, postproduction and screen business in just eight months to take an informed decision about the next steps in your studies or career
- Career-focused. Develop professional and personal skills to succeed in your career, including networking, showreel development, pitching and social media profile building
- High-calibre tutors. Learn from award-winning industry professionals with multiple awards and nominations
- Teamwork. Collaborate with your peers and work in different roles as part of a creative crew. Experience what it takes to deliver the project from start to finish and develop communication, negotiation and project management skills
You will learn about Visual Storytelling and Short Form content production and will study core subject areas of Ideas and Story, Character and Performance, Image and Sound, Postproduction and Screen Business. Through practical exercises you will learn everything from idea development through to editing that will provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the key skills needed to produce dynamic screen content.
- Ideas and story. Learn how to develop creative story ideas across a range of formats, including short form, documentaries, factual television, web series and fiction film. You will gain the tools to identify your target audience and adapt your ideas to the appropriate screen platform.
- Character and performance. Explore the various techniques for shaping character and performance across a variety of platforms, including fiction, documentary and episodic television. Working with professional actors you will learn how to transpose an idea from the page to the screen through key visual storytelling approaches.
- Image and sound. Learn how to use camera, lighting, and sound techniques to create visually and sonically compelling stories for fiction, documentary and episodic productions. You will develop strong technical skills and explore the impact of image and sound on creative screen content
- Postproduction. Discover creative and technical skills across the full range of postproduction workflows, including offline editing and sound design. You will learn how postproduction skills are central to the storytelling process across film, television and new media.
- Screen Business. Find out how to market and distribute screen content across a range of media platforms, including film, television and new media. Alongside the practical skills you will gain on this course, you will also learn how creative industries work and how you can become a smart screen creative that will be attractive to industry employers. In addition, you will explore how to manage productions, create successful project pitches and work collaboratively within creative teams.
Dates & Prices
- 27 September 2021 — 06 May 2022
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry requirements: Students will need 64 UCAS tariff points to apply for our DipHE Practical Filmmaking. If you are 21 or over these criteria do not apply.
Call us now to check availability and to start your application process: + 49 (0) 30 76 73 331 70
Application Process: Find out More.
International (Non-EU) Students. Due to via restrictions this course is only available to applicants from the EU and EEA. International students are very welcome to apply for the BA (Hons) in Practical Filmmaking, which is fully recognised by the German authorities and qualifies for the German Study Visa.
*Subject to annual price review
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
Our graduates work across the industry as Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. These are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for:
- Leading the industry. We’re the first film, television and online media school in Berlin based in a working film studio.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet.
- Award-winning tutors. All our tutors are international screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations
- Connected. We connect students to opportunities within the screen industries, capitalising not only on our excellent international reputation and exciting partnerships but also on our location in Berlin – home of the Berlinale Film Festival, a buzzing art and start-up scene and several hundred film productions per year
- Successful. 82% of our BA graduates find work within the creative industries. Our students have gone onto jobs as diverse as 4D Designers, Directors, Assistant Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, Campaign Managers and many more besides.