Looking to build your future in the screen industries? Met Film School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting edge, practical learning experience.
PRACTICAL FILMMAKING DIPLOMA
- Fourteen-month intensive practical course
- Ideal for students looking to upskill their practical and technical knowledge of the screen arts and transfer into the screen industries from another profession
- Develop a portfolio which includes short form, factual and episodic content
- DipHE provides the option to continue onto the BA (Hons) courses to build more in-depth practical knowledge
The Practical Filmmaking Diploma is an intensive course for those who already have a degree or work experience in a non-film related discipline, but who want to transition into the screen industries with a qualification.
- Practical. Develop creative and technical skills through practical workshops, screenings and masterclasses for careers in screenwriting, producing, directing, cinematography and postproduction
- Career-focused. Develop professional and personal skills to succeed in your career, including networking, showreel development, pitching and social media profile building
- High-calibre tutors. Learn from award-winning tutors and guest speakers with multiple nominaitons and awards
- Teamwork. Collaborate with your peers and work in different roles as part of a creative crew. Experience what it takes to deliver the project from start to finish and develop communication, negotiation and project management skills
- Intensive. Learn the fundamentals of storytelling, character and performance, image and sound, postproduction and screen business in just fourteen months and start working in the industry faster
There are four blocks of work – Fiction, Short Form, Factual, Episodic – that contain five modules: Ideas and Story, Character and Performance, Image and Sound, Postproduction and Screen Business. During each block you will explore core subjects from idea development through to editing, by doing practical exercises that will provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the key skills needed to produce dynamic screen content.
- Ideas and story. Learn how to develop creative story ideas across a range of formats, including short form, documentaries, factual television, web series and fiction film. You will gain the tools to identify your target audience and adapt your ideas to the appropriate screen platform.
- Character and performance. Explore the various techniques for shaping character and performance across a variety of platforms, including fiction, documentary and episodic television. Working with professional actors you will learn how to transpose an idea from the page to the screen through key visual storytelling approaches.
- Image and sound. Learn how to use camera, lighting, and sound techniques to create visually and sonically compelling stories for fiction, documentary and episodic productions. You will develop strong technical skills and explore the impact of image and sound on creative screen content.
- Postproduction. Discover creative and technical skills across the full range of postproduction workflows, including offline editing and sound design. You will learn how postproduction skills are central to the storytelling process across film, television and new media.
- Screen Business. Find out how to market and distribute screen content across a range of media platforms, including film, television and new media. Alongside the practical skills you will gain on this course, you will also learn how creative industries work and how you can become a smart screen creative that will be attractive to industry employers. In addition, you will explore how to manage productions, create successful project pitches and work collaboratively within creative teams.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
Our graduates work across the industry as Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. These are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for:
Dates & Prices
- 25 Sep 2017 — 07 Dec 2018
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry requirements: Students will need 64 UCAS tariff points to apply for our DipHE Practical Filmmaking. If you are 21 or over these criteria do not apply.
Call us now to check availability and to start your application process: + 49 (0) 30 76 73 331 70
Application Process: See the application process for our undergraduate courses.
International (Non-EU) Students. Please see the Application Deadline for this course.
- Leading the industry. We’re the first film, television and online media school in Berlin based in a working film studio and engaging in an exciting partnership with the world’s biggest creator community online – YouTube.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet.
- Award-winning tutors. All our tutors are international screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations
- Connected. We connect students to opportunities within the screen industries, capitalising not only on our excellent international reputation and exciting partnerships but also on our location in Berlin – home of the Berlinale Film Festival, a buzzing art and start-up scene and several hundred film productions per year
- Successful. 82% of our BA graduates find work within the creative industries. Our students have gone onto jobs as diverse as 4D Designers, Directors, Assistant Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, Campaign Managers and many more besides.