Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School Berlin is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting edge, practical learning experience.
- One-year full-time MA directing postgraduate course
- For students looking to secure a job as a director in entrepreneurial or professional capacities
- Highly practical course with an opportunity to do up to seven directing exercises, including a short form project for an external industry client and a final Master’s project
- Our recent graduates have won multiple awards at festivals including London Short Film Festival, Aesthetica Short Film Festival and The East End Film Festival
The MA Directing course equips you with a comprehensive skillset to work across all screen platforms – film, TV, commercials and online. During your studies you’ll do a unique industry project that will give you experience working with external clients, not offered by any other film school in the world.
- Practical. Around 70% of the curriculum is practical, hands-on experience. You will have an opportunity to work with professional actors, shoot on location and participate in moving camera exercises
- Teamwork. Work collaboratively with students on other MA courses (Cinematography, Screenwriting, Producing etc.) as a creative crew to mirror the industry practice. Experience what it takes to deliver the project from start to finish, and develop your communication, negotiation, and project management skills
- Working with external clients. Respond to a professional brief from external clients to produce an industry project. Past projects clients include Berlin based charities, start-ups, NGOs and independent artists.
- Industry-facing. Learn from the best industry professionals, including Cinematographers, Casting Directors, Location Managers and Production Designers.
- Screen Lab. You will participate in seminars and workshops covering a range of topics, including practical filmmaking skills, creative brainstorming, a survey of concepts underpinning moving image theory, and the state of the creative industries. At the end of the module, you will shoot a mini filmed project on an iPhone/Android, focusing on the primacy of content in the Say Something! exercise.
- Directing Boot Camp. You will study key creative and technical skills that anchor the director’s craft and provide the foundation for more advanced techniques. Through seminars, workshops, and practical exercises you will investigate the fundamentals of dramaturgy and narrative construction, mise-en-scène, visual storytelling and directing actors.
- The Actor and the Story. Through seminars, workshops and a series of practical exercises with professional actors, you will explore the symbiotic relationship between the writer’s intention, the director’s interpretation and the actor’s instinct to learn how to elicit engaging and truthful performances.
- Director’s Craft and Creative Collaboration. You will learn the importance of the collaborative relationship between directors and key Heads of Departments, including the Cinematographer, 1st AD, Producer, Editor, Casting Director and Production Designer. During this module, you will have the opportunity to direct projects for external companies.
- Advanced Visual Storytelling. You will have the opportunity to experiment with an intermediate project of your choice as a testing ground for your final Master’s project. In addition, you will participate in the moving camera exercise, where you will work alongside fellow students on location with professional actors.
- Research and Project Methods. You will explore key academic concepts and theories that establish the link between research and your creative practice, enabling you to improve the quality of your work.
- Master’s Project. It is a largely self-directed module during which you will work under the guidance of a faculty advisor towards the development of a final filmed project directed by you.
Dates & Prices
- 8 OCT 2018 — 7 NOV 2019
Course fees includes:
Tuition and 1:1 feedback sessions, production equipment and support, first aid and health & safety training, production and postproduction facilities, access to industry masterclasses and networking.
How to Apply:
We accept applications and offer places on a rolling basis throughout the year. As our MA programmes are competitive we encourage you to apply as far ahead of your intended start date as possible.
Contact our Admissions Manager Nina Hartwig on +49 (0) 30 767 333 170 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for the MA course you will need to be 18 years of age or older at the time the course starts. Applicants must have a minimum 2:1 honours degree from a UK university or overseas equivalent. Applicants without this qualification, but possessing relevant work experience, are also invited to apply. Each application is considered on its individual merits.
Duration: One Year, Full-Time
Please note all our courses are taught in English.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at Met Film School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. Our team helps our talented and bright graduates to secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work in the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and as other screen professionals. Below are just some of the companies they’ve gone on to work for.
We proudly present some of the course graduates’ works. These projects will give you an idea of what you should be able to produce by the end of the programme.
- Leading the industry. We’re the first film, television and online media school in Berlin-based in a working film studio and engaging in an exciting partnership with the world’s biggest creator community online – YouTube.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet.
- Award-winning tutors. All our tutors are international screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations
- Connected. We connect students to opportunities within the screen industries, capitalising not only on our excellent international reputation and exciting partnerships but also on our location in Berlin – home of the Berlinale Film Festival, a buzzing art and start-up scene and several hundred film productions per year
- Successful. 82% of our BA graduates find work within the creative industries. Our students have gone onto jobs as diverse as 4D Designers, VFX Artists, Directors, Assistant Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, Campaign Managers and many more besides.