“Whether they are aware of it or not, all filmmakers are using ideas and techniques that come from the avant-garde” – Justin Morrow.
- This is a three-month full-time course, taught over 11 weeks
- The course is designed for students with some previous experience in visual arts, film or media who are passionate about their vision, who are self-motivated, with an artistic mind, strong communication skills and who enjoy new challenges.
- You will explore alternatives to traditional narrative forms.
- Strengthen your artistic output and your creative horizons, gain a collaborative network and explore the migration of experimental techniques into commercial forms.
This course is designed for students not shy of expressing their creative ideas and seeking to translate them into unconventional moving images.
In fast-paced workshops that build upon each other, you will deepen your knowledge of fundamental filmmaking skills and will be introduced to a variety of experimental techniques.
After working on short projects with professionals from different fields you will be assisted in developing and presenting a final, self-directed project.
During this course you will:
- Deepen your knowledge of camerawork and sound, picture editing and post-production
- Get hands-on experience of analogue filmmaking and learn how to combine it with digital images
- Experiment with expanded audio-visual formats such as live-video-streaming, audio walks or video-installation
- Draw inspiration from a wide array of historic and contemporary film and video works
- Learn from professional filmmakers, artists, and designers who are open to share their knowledge and help advance your work with their constructive ideas
- Learn how to put your ideas into words, and to successfully pitch your projects
- Present your projects outside of the context of the school
- Explore the vibrant film and art scene of Berlin
Nina Könnemann is a Berlin based, internationally renowned artist working with film, video and installation. Her work has ben shown in galleries, museums and film-festivals including MoMA, New York; Palais de Tokyo, Paris; Museum for Contemporary Art, Basel; International Short Film Festival, Oberhausen and the Toronto International Film Festival.
Nina taught film classes and workshops at ZhdK, University of the Arts in Zürich, l’Ecole d’Enseignement Supérieur d’Art de Bordeaux, OCAD, Ontario College of Art and Design and the University of Toronto. Her most recent work, a series of Live-Video-Performances, was shown at Centre Pompidou, Paris, KW, Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin and House of Gaga, Los Angeles.
Dates & Prices
- 11 July 2022 — 23 September 2022
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: Our Three Month Experimental Filmmaking course is most suitable for students with a qualification in creative arts or previous experience in film or media. Please include information about your previous experience in Section 3 of your enrolment form.
In order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact email@example.com
Please note all our courses are taught in English.
Duration: Three-month, Full-Time
- Leading the industry. We’re the first film, television and online media school in Berlin based in a working film studio.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet.
- Award-winning tutors. All our tutors are international screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations
- Connected. We connect students to opportunities within the screen industries, capitalising not only on our excellent international reputation and exciting partnerships but also on our location in Berlin – home of the Berlinale Film Festival, a buzzing art and start-up scene and several hundred film productions per year
- Successful. 82% of our BA graduates find work within the creative industries. Our students have gone onto jobs as diverse as 4D Designers, VFX Artists, Directors, Assistant Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, Campaign Managers and much more besides.