International Students

International Students

Our BA and MA courses are officially recognised by the German authorities and qualify for the German Study Visa.

Non-EU students studying on our BA and MA courses can extend their residence permit for up to 18 months to find work relating to their studies after graduating.

Our classes are delivered in English, in accordance with the school’s accreditation with the University of West London.

Do you need a visa to study in Germany?

I. Short Courses – Up to 3 months

A. Courses are available to EEA and Swiss nationals who do not need a visa to enter Germany. EEA nationals are those that hold a passport from an EU country, including those from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

B. Also available to nationals of certain countries – passports from the countries marked “no” on this list – may also enrol on 3 month short courses. However they may not stay on German/Schengen territory for more than 90 days in any six month period, nor may they take up gainful employment whilst there.

C. Students from ALL other countries must apply for a tourist/ Schengen visa in order to enter Germany. Passport holders from the countries on this list require a visa for short stays. 

II. Short Courses – Longer than 3 months

A. These courses are only available to EU and Swiss nationals, including those from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

B. Applicants  between the age of 18 – 30 from Australia, New Zealand, Canada (age of 18 – 35), Japan, the Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Israel and Chile can apply for the Work and Travel Visa/Working holiday program to join the Six Month courses. 

C. Students from ALL other countries cannot enrol on short courses that exceed 3 months in duration: this is because the  maximum duration of stay on a tourist visa is 90 days. The German HE authority does not recognise courses that don’t lead to an academic qualification. Hence the Six Month courses do not qualify for the German student visa.

III. BA and MA degree courses

A.  Available to EEA and Swiss nationals who do not need a visa to enter Germany. EEA nationals are those that hold a passport from an EU country, including those from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

B. Also available to nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the United States of America provided they apply for a residence permit (for study purposes) within 3 months of entering Germany. Nationals of Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino can also do the same, provided they don’t intend to work in Germany before or after completing their studies.

C. International students from ALL other countries must have a valid student visa before they travel to Germany:                                                          

The German Student Visa

Students who match the criteria of the above listed group III. C  must apply for a visa for study purposes via the German diplomatic representation in their home country.

Students intending to study a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree must not travel to Germany on a Schengen/ tourist visa, as it is not possible to convert a tourist visa into a long term study visa after entering the country.

The application process for obtaining a German Study Visa may differ depending on the country you are applying from. To find the nearest German Embassy/ Consulate in your home country, visit and select your country.

Most applicants will be required to make an in-person appointment at the embassy in order to apply for their visa.

The German Student Visa is for those who have applied for a course at an institution and have received a letter of admission to the institution.

Work Rights

International Students are able to work 180 half days per year (four hours a day) whilst studying in Berlin.

Further Advice

You can find out more advice for international students looking to study in Berlin here:


Usually Required Documents

Requirements for different countries can apply, but generally applicants are required to submit the following with their visa application:

  • Valid Passport
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Application form and declarations duly signed
  • Copy of passport key pages
  • Visa fees
  • 3 passport photos according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
  • Personal cover letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay
  • Confirmation of Acceptance letter – from Met Film School
  • Proof of payment of tuition fees.  If applicable
  • Proof of academic qualifications. If applicable
  • Proof of financial means to cover living expenses: must be evidenced by one of the following documents: confirmation of scholarship ‘Verpflichtungserklärung’ (declaration of commitment) by sponsor living in Germany or ‘Sperrkonto’ (blocked account) in Germany in the name of the applicant showing a minimum balance of approximately €10,332. We recommend that you open a ‘Blocked account‘ as soon as you have a confirmed place on the course.
  • To open a blocked account and apply for health insurance we recommend visiting:
  • Please Note: This list is not exhaustive therefore it is important that you check the relevant German Mission website for your country to ensure you provide all of the required documents.

Language Level Requirements - BA and MA Degree Courses Only

MetFilm School Berlin welcomes students from all over the world. We require our applicants onto our Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses to demonstrate a level of English language ability that will allow them to fully benefit from their chosen degree programme.

The School accepts IELTS Academic and TOEFL tests as evidence of English language proficiency and the English language requirement we set depends on the level you will be studying at.


For our BA, DipHE and Cert HE courses, international students need to meet our English language requirement at either IELTS at 6.5 or above (including at least 5.5 in each section), TOEFL internet based test score at 90 or above.

For our Master’s courses, international students need to meet our English language requirement at either IELTS at 6.5 or above (including at least 6.5 in writing and 5.5 in each other section), TOEFL internet based test score at 90 or above.